Disorders of Sensory and Perceptual Systems
Throughout this course, you have looked at all of the sensory and perceptual systems in the human body. One subject not discussed to a large degree is disorders of the sensory and perceptual systems.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research sensation and perception disorders. Based on your research, do the following:
- Imagine you are teaching your peers about the disorders of the sensory and perceptual systems.
- Select one sensation or perception disorder (such as sensory processing disorder, anosmia, apperceptive visual agnosia, glaucoma, verbal auditory agnosia, or developmental dyslexia resulting from auditory processing deficit).
- Using at least two peer-reviewed journal articles discussing the disorder you have selected, develop a presentation to provide an overview of the disorder. Explain the following points.
- Sensory system affected by the disorder—including the specific physiological structures that are affected
- Perceptual processing affected by the disorder
- Analysis of the disorder from both top-down and bottom-up perspectives
- The more appropriate approach for viewing this disorder—top-down or bottom-up
- Etiology of the disorder
- Coping strategies and treatment, if any
- Related and/or co-occurring disorders
- Psychological impact of the disorder (outside of the perceptual deficit)