Social Bonding Theory
Travis Hirshi’s social bonding theory is a form of social control. While other criminological theories attempt to explain why crime occurs, social bonding theory explains why people conform to the norms of society and away from deviant and antisocial behaviors. Many argue the threat of punishment as being a deterrent. However, Travis Hirshi, in his contentions, believes there are other factors beyond punishment that are responsible for conformity. Review Chapter 7 in your primary text, and watch The Social Bond Theory (Links to an external site.)video, which provides examples of the four elements of the theory (Siegel, 2015; Hiemstra, 2013). In your paper,
- Explain Travis Hirschi’s social bonding theory.
- Describe the four elements of social bonding theory.
- Discuss how the social bonding theory affects conformity in America.
- Discuss the relationship between social bonding theory and the various sociological schools of crime causation.
Your paper must
- Be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Use at least five scholarly sources in addition to the course text and the article being evaluated.
- Document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.